Computers from us are primarily for use in public settings in developing countries to help connect more youth to the internet. The computers are not for resale. Most of the computers need to be used most of the time to connect youth up-to the age of 24.
If your group wants low-cost refurbished desktop and laptop computers and other items on our list of costs we ask you to briefly answer our implementation questions (in Word). We have this long form for groups seeking a full container and a short form for those seeking less than 100 computers. Our Board of Directors has approved over 900 partner groups in 78 developing countries.
Please email us for a long or short form of a Spanish or French version of our implementation questions.
WCE preloads Linux Xubuntu operating system and Libre/Office suite and our own content pack including health, agricultural, environmental, technology and education content ~ including Khan Academy videos. We usually load Linux to avoid viruses and for these other benefits. Send us an email if you would like a copy of our content or benefits in French or Spanish.
Our 260 volunteer Development Officers provide free online capacity building to our partners to develop their organizations in eight areas: technology planning, network and computer trouble-shooting, fundraising, social media, educational use of the internet, organizational development, e-waste solutions and the co-development and use of the Inspire Girls teacher tools.
We will ship in any quantity. To keep shipping costs low, we try to ship in containers that hold either 300 or 600 desktop computers. If that is more than a single Partner needs, our Field Associates often work to assemble a shared container in which several Partners from the same country share in the computers and shipping costs. Each recipient is responsible to reimburse the consignee for their fair share of the costs of clearing the port.
WCE offers a 5% discount for used computers and our loading of our content packs when a letter of commitment is provided from an iEARN Country Coordinator, Peace Corps Volunteer, a Rotary Club, or any of our Strategic Allies. (Cannot be used during a sale)
For interested partners applying for a full container, our volunteers will raise from sponsors the last 1/3 of the sourcing and shipping costs within 4 months after the Partner sends their first 1/3 of the costs. The partners need to send their second 1/3 of our costs at least one month before shipping.
- Consignee is responsible for any demurrage, customs, and costs related to clearance from the port.
- Consignee arranges for a space to set voltage toggle switch on the computers to the correct voltage, adapt the wall plugs and repair computers as needed (budget & plan on 5% needing repair).
- Recipient sites pick-up, install, connect & maintain these computers.
- Recipient sites see that these computers are used most of the time by youth at low cost.
- Recipient sites connect these computers to the internet as much as possible – usually we include a ping on each computer so we will know once a month if it is connecting to the internet.
- Recipient sites monitor & report to WCE annually on the computers’ status, use & impact.
- Recipient sites agree to be responsible for final disposal of the toxins in these computers.
Prior to our Board voting, we request a non-refundable down-payment deposit of $5 per computer that you are requesting up to a maximum of $250. We ship about one month after we receive all funds for sourcing and shipping the computers.