We are a good source of low-cost desktop and laptop computers loaded with education content. Our computers are primarily for use in public settings in developing countries to help connect more youth to the internet. The computers are not for resale. Most of the computers need to be used most of the time to connect youth up-to the age of 24. (Not for USA and not for individuals.)
~ Education Content Summary for use when internet not available
~ Implementation Questions (in Word) long form for over 100 sets
~ Short Form Questions if you are seeking less than 100 computers
~ Our 900 partner groups in 78 developing countries
Please email us Spanish or French version of the following: long or short form of our implementation questions, content, costs, why we usually install Linux Ubuntu to avoid viruses and costs.
Our 260 volunteer Development Officers provide free online capacity building and training to our partners to develop their organizations in eight areas: technology planning, network and computer trouble-shooting, fundraising, social media, educational use of the internet, organizational development, e-waste solutions and the co-development and use of the Inspire Girls teacher tools.
We will ship in any quantity. To keep shipping costs low, we try to ship in containers that hold either 300 or 600 desktop computers. If that is more than a single Partner needs, our Field Associates often work to assemble a shared container in which several Partners from the same country share in the computers and shipping costs. Each recipient is responsible to reimburse the consignee for their fair share of the costs of clearing the port.
WCE offers a 5% discount for used computers and our loading of our content packs when a letter of commitment is provided from an iEARN Country Coordinator, Peace Corps Volunteer, a Rotary Club, or any of our Strategic Allies. (Cannot be used during a sale)
For interested partners applying for a full container, our volunteers will raise from sponsors the last 1/3 of the sourcing and shipping costs within 4 months after the Partner sends their first 1/3 of the costs. The partners need to send their second 1/3 of our costs at least one month before shipping.
- Consignee is responsible for any demurrage, customs, and costs related to clearance from the port.
- Consignee arranges for a space to set voltage toggle switch on the computers to the correct voltage, adapt the wall plugs and repair computers as needed (budget & plan on 5% needing repair).
- Recipient sites pick-up, install, connect & maintain these computers.
- Recipient sites see that these computers are used most of the time by youth at low cost.
- Recipient sites connect these computers to the internet as much as possible – usually we include a ping on each computer so we will know once a month if it is connecting to the internet.
- Recipient sites monitor & report to WCE annually on the computers’ status, use & impact.
- Recipient sites agree to be responsible for final disposal of the toxins in these computers.
Prior to our Board voting, we request a non-refundable down-payment deposit of $5 per computer that you are requesting up to a maximum of $250. We ship about one month after we receive all funds for sourcing and shipping the computers.